Monday, September 22, 2008

There really is life after.....a spinal headache!

Many of you have been calling and writing me emails wondering how I am doing, so I thought I would give a quick update. Since my last post I have been back to the hospital a couple of times. I continued to have severe headaches, which turned out to be a spinal headache from the spinal tap. I went in for a blood patch, they go back into the spine and inject a small amount of your own blood into the hole that they made, 99% of the time you feel better within minutes. I was so excited to get this and have relief finally. Well they wouldn't do the spinal patch on me because they didn't want to go back into the spinal area and cause problems to the meningitis. Instead they gave me a caffeine IV which helped with the headache that night but I didn't sleep a wink. The amount of caffeine they gave me was equivalent to six 2-liter bottles of mountain dew. I was buzzing! The next morning the headache was back.

My mother in law flew in to help us out and I am happy to report that I made it through one hour of church yesterday (I was one of the speakers so I kind of needed to be there). I also went to the doctor today and the store and I am still alive. I am getting better and better each day. I have never been more grateful to sit, stand, clean the dishes, wipe bums, etc. Thank you for all of your calls, emails and prayers some days were discouraging and it was so nice to get my mind off of things.

5 comments:

Halls Huddle said...

So glad you're feeling better, Amber. We've sure been thinking about you. Glad that Donna could go out to help! Wish it was me!!!!

Adalia said...

Caffeine really is a great thing all around. We are glad to hear you are doing better-weve been thinking about you and have kept you in our prayers. Love ya tons and miss you guys.

Melissa said...

Glad you're doing better. I don't want to be one of those blog naggers. "Why haven't you posted?" But I wondered if you were doing alright. And all this from some meds for your knee? That sucks. Anyway, get better so you can enjoy some of that warm weather for us.

Heidi said...

Oh Amber, I'm so sorry. What a crappy way to start of your new adventure in Hawaii. But I'm glad you're doing better. We sure miss you guys.

Kristi said...

hey Amber, I just found your blog for the first time- glad you joined the blogging world. Cam will be excited to see what Madison and Taylor are doing. Hawaii sounds like fun, well minus all the surgery and hospitalizations and crap, hope your doing better :-)