Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Happy Birthday to Amber - Not

I had the greatest birthday celebration....you are going to be so jealous. For my birthday I was admitted to the hospital, doesn't that sound fun! Ok, your right it wasn't fun at all. In all seriousness I think the weekend qualified as the worst weekend in my life. It started on Friday when I got a miserable headache. I tried everything tylenol, advil, excedrin, oxycodone (pain meds that they gave me from knee surgery), vice grips, a hammer, etc. Nothing was making a dent in the pain. By Sunday morning (my birthday) I was miserable! I had been in tears multiple times and I told Steve that this just wasn't a normal headache. Steve took me to the ER at Tripler, they did a cat scan and a spinal tap and came to the conclusion that I had aseptic meningitis. It isn't contagious so I'm not going to spread it to any of you. They think that it was caused by a drug called Mobic that I had been taking after knee surgery. I guess this medicine has been known to cause meningitis in some people....isn't that fabulous. So I am now out of the hospital but still pretty miserable. I feel good as long as I am laying down (which is why I am typing this slouched down in the chair as far as I can with my head cocked to the side resting on the arm rest) but when I get up I am reminded that someone is stabbing knifes into my head. I don't recommend this birthday gift to anyone! :)

6 comments:

Adalia said...

Hey-
I feel for you being far away with no family to help when your sick-that sucks! Hopefully you can start to feel better soon! Take it easy and remember we all love you! Kiss the kids for us! (and steve too if he wants one)

Jen said...

Amber, I am so sorry to hear that! What a birthday to remember! I hope you are feeling well. If I were there, I'd bring you dinner & take the kids for you! Happy belated birthday!

Rooks Family said...

No more bad news Amber --- it is all so depressing! We really do feel sorry for you and hope you get well soon.

Kimberli said...

Oh... so sad! It sounds miserable! Hope you get feeling better soon. One thing... next year's birthday has GOT to be better! :)

Halls Family said...

What a rotten couple of weeks. Hope you have a quick recovery and can get back to having fun with your family.

Kelli said...

Hey Amber---This is kelli (bailey) washburn--sorry to hear about your crazy birthday hope that you get feeling better and your next birthday is the best you've ever had.