Saturday, May 15, 2010

Kaena Point From the West Side

We can officially say that we have now completely circled the island....there is about a 7 mile stretch that is not accessible by vehicle, so you can either hike or bike it. We have hiked to Kaena point twice from the northern side (Dillingham area about 7 miles roundtrip) and finally hiked the last little bit from the western side (Waianae). From this side it is about 5 miles roundtrip. Our kids are troopers and usually don't have any trouble completing our hikes...in fact, a lot of times they want to take routes that are more challenging and climb big steep rock walls, just for fun. As the kids get older it is getting easier to do things like this as a family. Havyn still needs to be carried part of the way, but she is doing well and usually manages about half of it on her own. The hike starts and ends at one of our favorite beaches - Yokohama beach, so after finishing the hike we cooled off in the waves of Yokohama. It was the perfect ending to a great day! So without further ado...some photos -

Steve taking in the view
There were many crystal clear pools that we stopped to look at
...and multiple archesMadison and Cole decided that instead of walking up and around the landslide area they would find a way to go right through itAt the point there is a albatross nesting areaAt the pointKaena point is also a place where the monk seals come to have their babies and rest in the sunFuture architectOne of the coolest things about the point is the contrast between the black and white rocksJust being a boy
Madison in an attempt to tan those white legs....she doesn't know I took that picture (I told her she looked like a sumo wrestler)

2 comments:

Halls Huddle said...

I loved the photos. Sure makes me want to come back for another visit! I especially loved the one of the 4 kids on the tower. So cool!!! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

Erin said...

Oh my gosh, your kids are getting too big without me. I miss you guys. I am seriously counting down the days until I pick you up at the airport. It's 14. Hurry up. That's a cool hike. Lots of wildlife to see. Good times.