Wednesday, May 26, 2010

All Kinds of 6th Grade Festivities

These last few weeks of school have been so very busy! In Hawaii, 6th grade is the last year of elementary school...so the 6th graders are the big wigs who get to have all kinds of fun. In the past week in addition to the usual sports schedule we have attended Etiquette Luncheon, fun fair, the 6th grade play and graduation.

For etiquette luncheon, Taylor and Madison and the rest of the 6th grade got all dressed up and traveled to the Westin Moana Surfrider. At the Westin, they had a fancy luncheon and learned the proper etiquette for eating and behaving at such a place. They thoroughly enjoyed the food and had a great time with their classmates. The only photos I have are from pictures Taylor took with her camera...if I would have been there, we would have had a lot more pictures. ;)

Taylor, Madison and friend Amber before school (Amber had called to see if she could come over early to get her hair done, so instead she spent the night and we spent the morning getting everyone beautiful).
Taylor and Molly en route
What???
Taylor and her table matesTheir favorite part...desert!

Just a few days after etiquette luncheon the 6th grade performed a play called "Dig It." We were all busy preparing for the play...the kids learned lines and songs - while some of us moms were busy sewing costumes. The play turned out really well and we were all happy to have it over with.

Cole and Havyn before the play started
Taylor - one of her scenes representing China
Madison - representing Greece
Some girl (just popped into picture when I took it), Stephanie, Madison, Taylor and Ami after the play
Last, but not least, graduation. The staff and students put on a nice graduation with poems, songs and slide shows. Both Taylor and Madison were awarded certificates for academic excellence - we are so proud of you! The 6th grade class built a drinking fountain for the new playground as their legacy to Aikahi. After graduation, the new water fountain was dedicated and unveiled. The students designed, dug trenches, covered trenches and made all the tiles for the fountain. It turned out nice. Taylor and Madison are so excited to start intermediate school, but Steve and I are still not convinced they are old enough. Can't we just keep them in elementary school for a few more years?

Madison - graduation procession
Taylor - graduation procession
May I present the 6th grade graduating class of 2010 - Taylor, Madison, Kaitlin (best friend)Taylor receiving her award for academic excellenceMadison receiving her awardTaylor and Madison after graduation
Ami, Madison, Hanna, Taylor, Hannah, Keanu
Dedicating drinking fountain - 6th grade legacy to Aikahi
The final result (almost) still a couple tiles missing

2 comments:

Kimberli said...

I can't believe how grown-up your girls are! They look like beautiful young ladies. I guess I still remember the "little girls."

Erin said...

Wow, so they got a few necklaces. I guess you just buy whatever treat you want and tie it on to a necklace. Cute though. They look darling, and so smart. Way to go girls.