Friday, January 2, 2009

Koko Crater

Koko Crater is a cinder cone remaining from the last active volcano that occurred on O'ahu approximately 10,000 years ago. This crater is the tallest tuff ring in Hawaii, measuring 1,207 feet in height. There are 1,106 steps. Actually the "stairs" are the railway ties of a long abandoned incline tram formerly used by the military to transport personnel and supplies to a lookout post on the summit.

Steve and I got up early and tried to catch the sunrise as we did this hike. Unfortunately, it was overcast and we couldn't see a sunrise at all. But it was fun and we are happy to say we conquered this crater. It is not a very technical hike but it is a muscle burning tiring hike. It is a constant incline and my legs were jelly when we were done. We made it to the top in about 30 minutes and down in about 15. Once at the top, you have an amazing 360 views of Hawaii Kai, Hanauma Bay and the Windward side of the island.


Beginning of the Trail

Beginning of trail where railroad track start
I am on a bridge about half way to the top...below the railway ties there is about a 15 foot drop
Steve and Hawaii Kai in the backgroundAmber and the windward side in the backgroundHawaii Kai

2 comments:

Erin said...

You guys are so adventerous. Looks like a pretty cool hike. Careful on that bridge though.

Jami said...

Hey Amber, I have been looking at your blog for awhile and thinking I should leave you a comment with our blog link, but never have. I found yours through Kristi's. I also added you on facebook, but honestly I never do anything on there except read what other people put up. I'm jealous you get to live in Hawaii. We have been there twice now and love it, and can't wait to go again. Anyway it's fun to be able to see what you are up to and see how big your cute kids are.