Sunday, October 31, 2010

hApPy HaLlOwEeN 2010

Each year when Halloween passes I decide that I am not going to spend so much time making Halloween costumes for the following year. Every year, I eat my words, and the Jensen costume factory opens. It has gotten tricky trying to come up with a theme for 6. Sooo, Dr. Seuss was our theme....we have 3 from the Cat in the Hat and 3 from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

The costumes turned out better than I had envisioned. We had lots of painted faces and a green face scare! When I finished painting Steve's face green, I went to the sink to wash off the green paint from my hands. I first rubbed with just water and nothing happened. I added hand soap, and still my finger was bright green. At this point, swear words were going through my mind. All I could think of was "Oh crap, Steve is going to have a green face for a week." I broke the news to Steve that the paint was not coming off of my finger. We checked the paint packaging and it said it was face paint, but I had ordered it offline and it was from China...so who knows. I continued to try to get the green paint off of my finger by using rubbing alcohol, Motsenbocker's cleaner (which I use often and it removes sharpie from everything) and makeup remover. After all those washings, my finger was still slightly tinted green. Steve was already painted green, there really wasn't anything we could do at that point so we finished getting all ready, took some pics and went to our party.

The ward always puts on a great party. We had a nice spaghetti dinner, games, haunted house and a trunk or treat. The kids had a good time and the costumes were a hit. When we got home and got the kids all situated in bed....we decided it was time to try to get this green paint off of Steve's face. First try, water....nothing! Second try, face wash/makeup remover....a few green suds but still bright green face! Third try, apricot scrub (add a little sand to the soap that has to help)....considerably lighter green face, but still not good enough to go to work. Fourth and Fifth washing, we just used more soap and a wash cloth and scrubbed so hard Steve was wincing. I'm not sure it actually washed off...I think we just scrubbed so hard we removed the top 3 layers of skin. But, I am happy to report that my husband is not green!

Too bad my candy hair blends with the flowers
Um...can you guess who is who? (my painted eyebrows make them look sad)
Cindy Lou Who

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! You are too amazing. I am so impressed. Every year you do such a great job and I keep saying that next year I'll make my kids some really cute costume like Amber. And then Halloween rolls around and I have procrastinated way too long and end up buying some cheap costume. Way to go, everyone looks great. I hope you guys won lots of prizes.

Halls Huddle said...

You are so amazing! Every year I look forward to your creations and am always totally blown away. So cute!!!!!

Andrea said...

I haven't commented on a blog for a long time, but WOW, WOW, WOW you deserve a comment. I am impressed!!!! Your whole family looks amazing. Steve is cracking me up. He could be Jim Carey. Did you sew everyone one of their costumes? You never cease to amaze me. Too cool.

Kristen said...

Amber, you and your annual Halloween costumes each year make me smile and amaze me! Those are incredible and super cute! Start now and make some for my family of 6!