Friday, May 8, 2009

Boston

Steve had his AAO (orthodontic) meeting in Boston this year. And thanks to some great friends willing to do a kids swap, I was able to join him and get away for a few days. We had a great time! It is such a different experience traveling without kids...you can see twice as many things and it is just so much easier not having to keep track of everyone.

We took a tour along the freedom trail. It takes you to the first public school, the site of the Boston Massacre, Bunker Hill, USS Constitution, Paul Revere's Home, burial ground of Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, John Hancock and many others. We also went to the Boston Commons, the Boston Garden and Fenway Park. The day we did this tour the USS Constitution was closed....the USS Constitution is the oldest commissioned war ship. While talking to our trolley driver he said that since we were active duty military we might be able to get a private tour, he was right. They were very good to us and took us through the whole ship, we were able to see things that you don't get to see on the regular tours.

One of the funnest things we did was attend a Boston celtics playoff game against Orlando. It was a lot of fun. The fans were very intense, which made it exciting. The only downside was that the language of Bostonians was very bad. I've decided that Boston is the capitol of fowl language!

We had an interesting experience on the public transportation one of the days. Public transportation in Boston is great but you always have to be a little careful with the crazy people that use it. We boarded one of the buses and I immediately noticed a guy (he wasn't hard to notice) who was going on about Jerry Springer. After a couple of minutes, he pointed his finger right at me and said "YOU!" You can imagine my heart jumping out of my chest, and I said, "What?" He then said "You are the one that I am going to marry!" Then he looked at Steve and said, "you have the best one." At this point I linked my arm with Steves and this guy kept motioning Steve to move over. Then he mentioned something about a kiss. I was so glad that there were other people there with us and that Steve was there with me. So I guess it doesn't matter if you have a ring on and that your husband is sitting right next to you....you can still get marriage proposals.

Once again thanks Ann and Jeff for keeping the kids. Now I am charged up and ready for the summer.

3 comments:

Aundrea said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! It would've been really cool to see a Celtics game...I guess just wear earplugs the next time:)

Jessie's Jargon said...

Nice to have some time without the kids. I was supposed to go to a conference in Boston in August, but I was offered the opportunity to go to Costa Rica the same week. I decided Costa Rica was the winner! :)
Glad you had fun.

Erin said...

Yay! What a fun trip! It's always nice to have a getaway with just the two of you. I'm glad you got to go. Now can you just come home so we can see you too. Pretty cool that you got your own private tour.